Apache Spark is fast and general engine for large-scale data processing and Python is the most preferred programming language with the active developer community. In this article, I am going to show how to use Apache Spark with Python.
- Install Spark first. You can refer to this link to install spark on windows.
- After you have installed Spark, you need to create the configuration:
sparkConf = (SparkConf().setMaster(“local”).setAppName(“Test”))
- Now, we have to initialize a spark context or if there is already one running we can use that too:
sc = SparkContext.getOrCreate()
- Let’s just say, if you have a text file “command.txt”, here is how you can read the text file:
rddRead = sc.textFile(“C:\command.txt”)
- If you want to look what is the value of rddRead then here is you what you should do:
- However if you are doing Collect operation over a large text file it is not recommended since it would overload the data with too much of text into the console, hence there is a chance that driver could run out of memory.
- If you want to pick the first element in RDD’s then here is what you should do:
- If you want to display first 5 lines of the text file or for any n lines of the text file, here is what you should do:
rddRead.Take(n) # n represents the number of lines of text file to be displayed in console
- If you want to find out the number of lines of RDD’s then here is the command:
Here is how you can get started with Apache Spark using Python. Few more articles on a similar topic would follow soon.
Thanks for dropping by !!! Feel free to comment to this post or you can also drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.